[debian-lan-devel] testing wheezy CD

Andreas B. Mundt andi.mundt at web.de
Mon Mar 25 22:37:10 UTC 2013

Hi Andreas,

On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 07:44:45PM +0100, Andreas Schockenhoff wrote:

> I am testing with:
> http://das-netzwerkteam.de/~andi.mundt/debian-lan_wheezy_20130307_amd64.iso <http://das-netzwerkteam.de/%7Eandi.mundt/debian-lan_wheezy_20130307_amd64.iso>
> and VirtualBox.

I will update an up-to-date image tomorrow, the latest commits are
missing right now.  However, nothing extremely important.

Yes, FAI 4.0 does not use the mirror on the CD: <URL:http://bugs.debian.org/682796>

> I think it is better to have a second network interface for dhcp to
> have a simple
> Internet access.
>
> /etc/network/interfaces add
> auto eth1
> iface eth1 inet dhcp
>
> with this addition it works fine.

Great, thanks for testing!  I had two test scenarios: A virtual
machine, single network interface, installation from CD:  I connect
the interface via NAT and DHCP to the internet and install from the
CD.  After the installation, I connect the interface to the isolated
network connected via a router (NAT but no DHCP) to the internet.

On real hardware, I have a machine with two interfaces, and I
configure the mainserver as gateway:  I have one interface connected
to a DHCP router and I test the system conversion, so I install a
minimal Debian and convert that installation. I once had to switch
interfaces in /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net ... to get the
correct interfaces for internal and external network.

Did you offer DHCP when installing from CD, or was your machine
already "isolated" (no DHCP) in the internal network?  The
installation should work connected to a DHCP-offering Network.
After installation, connect the machine to the internal network.

Best regards,

     Andi