[debian-lan-devel] testing wheezy CD

Andreas B. Mundt andi.mundt at web.de
Tue Mar 26 10:05:49 UTC 2013

Hello Andreas,

On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 08:57:55AM +0100, Andreas Schockenhoff wrote:

> Am 25.03.2013 23:37, schrieb Andreas B. Mundt:
> >I will update an up-to-date image tomorrow, the latest commits are
> >missing right now. However, nothing extremely important.
> Great I will check it again.

andi at fuzi:~/Downloads$ scp fai-cd.iso momo:public_html/debian-lan_wheezy_20130326_amd64.iso
fai-cd.iso                               5% 20MB 103.5KB/s   52:32 ETA

[...]

> >Great, thanks for testing!  I had two test scenarios: A virtual
> >machine, single network interface, installation from CD:  I connect
> >the interface via NAT and DHCP to the internet and install from the
> >CD.  After the installation, I connect the interface to the isolated
> >network connected via a router (NAT but no DHCP) to the internet.
> I use a simple Laptop with virtual machines.  I use eth0 allways for
> the internal Network and eth1 for dhcp to the internet.
> >
> >On real hardware, I have a machine with two interfaces, and I
> >configure the mainserver as gateway:  I have one interface connected
> >to a DHCP router and I test the system conversion, so I install a
> >minimal Debian and convert that installation. I once had to switch
> >interfaces in /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net ... to get the
> >correct interfaces for internal and external network.
> I manage this with the knowledge of older Installations and selecting the
> right hardware emulation in the virtual machine.

OK.

> >Did you offer DHCP when installing from CD, or was your machine
> >already "isolated" (no DHCP) in the internal network?  The
> >installation should work connected to a DHCP-offering Network.
> >After installation, connect the machine to the internal network.
> >
> In this testing I need dhcp and Internet access in all phases (from
> CD, for NFSroot and for diskless client) of the installation.

Correct.

> The router solution is also a possible way. But I have not seen the
> documentation for this. I prefer my  simpler DHCP solution.

That's perfectly fine.  If you choose an identical IP address for
gateway and mainserver, debian-lan will configure two interfaces, one
for the internal network, one for the external one (connection via
DHCP). Cf. class/SERVER_A.var:

   ## Variables that define the network.  If you choose the same IP
   ## address for mainserver ($MAINSERVER_IPADDR) and gateway ($GATEWAY),
   ## the mainserver is configured as gateway to the external network.
   ## You'll need two network cards in that case.
   MAINSERVER_IPADDR="10.0.0.10"
   GATEWAY="10.0.0.1"
   BROADCAST="10.0.255.255"
   NAMESERVER_IPADDR=""  # leave empty to use mainserver's IP address

This happens in scripts/SERVER_A/10-misc:
     if [ "$MAINSERVER_IPADDR" != "$GATEWAY" ] ; then ...

However, the CD image is prepared with the defaults as shown above,
only one interface.  I could prepare an image with
MAINSERVER_IPADDR==GATEWAY (just modify MAINSERVER_IPADDR in
class/SERVER_A.var and rebuild the CD image)....

> Backports are not supported in wheezy in this moment? May be we
> disable them for
> a while. :-)

They should be available:
     <URL:https://lists.debian.org/debian-backports-announce/2013/03/msg00000.html>

The idea is to prepare a debian-lan-config package as soon as wheezy
is released and upload it to backports.

Thanks for testing again!

       Andi