[debian-lan-devel] Are there next steps for DebianLan?

Andreas B. Mundt andi.mundt at web.de
Sat Mar 30 22:19:23 UTC 2013

Hi Andreas,

On Sat, Mar 30, 2013 at 08:16:05AM +0100, Andreas Schockenhoff wrote:

> seams to work great.  What comes next? :)
> More LDAP/GOSA? Or does DebianLan full fit your requirement?

I am not sure yet.  Someone asked for 'roaming machines', which can be
removed from the network and cache their cedentials and perhaps some
data.  This if of course nice if you want to use laptops.

My school currently runs M$ XP and as this OS is not going to be
supported next year anymore and the machines are too old for newer M$
OSs.  I suggested to use free software, and we (the school's
sysadmins, the headmaster and some other leading people ...) have a
meeting soon to discuss what to do.  I may suggest Debian-LAN, and in
case it's "chosen", I will have to do some work on classes that
provide the necessary configuration for schools.

Do you have ideas or wishes?

> PS:
> Can you give me a short description about using the local package source?
> http://www.skolelinux.de/pipermail/user/2012-April/010332.html
> I think reprepro is used but a simple example would be nice.

The repository is created in 'scripts/SERVER_A/60-APTrepository'.  You
should have the simple script '/var/www/debian/create_archive.sh'
available on the mainserver:

[...]
#   HowTo set up a local package repository
#   ---------------------------------------
#
#    * Drop all customized and needed packages into './pool/main/'.
#
#    * Execute this script or run the commands below manually.
#
[...]

After that, you need to run 'fai softupdate' on the clients, to switch
on the local repository (to fetch the key and add the URL to your
sources.list).  After that, the packages should be available.  Let me
know if it does not work as described.  It does not use reprepro, I
started with this pretty simple setup.

Best regards,

     Andi