[debian-lan-devel] Softupdate wheezy

Andreas B. Mundt andi.mundt at web.de
Sun Apr 21 16:25:12 UTC 2013

Hi Julien,

On Sun, Apr 21, 2013 at 04:04:43PM +0200, Julien Lambot wrote:

> Apparently, my issue is more related to the fact I changed the mount point
> of /lan/mainserver/home0
> The problem is, after the softupdate, when
> /lan/mainserver/home0 is bound to /srv/nfs4/home, the final path is mounted
> on /root where I have not enough space.
> Changing it to /dev/mapper/vg00-lvhome result in a unworkable nfs mount.
> So my partitioning scheme doesn't fit Debian Lan right now (I will need
> more time to implement a full FAI server).

I am not sure if I understand you correctly.  Is this on the server or
on the clients?  Where the filesystem the home directories live on the
server should not make much difference. They are bind mounted from
wherever they are to /srv/nfs4/home to be exported.  Take a look at
/etc/fstab and /etc/exports.

Note that if you change the mount point on the clients, you have to
modify the autofs configuration in LDAP.  Take a look at
'config/files/etc/ldap/autofs.ldif/SERVER_A' for the default. To
modify that on an already installed system, you need to use ldapvi or
something like that to modify the data in LDAP.

> I went to this conclusion because I did an installation again on kvm and
> everything went fine with only one filesystem for the server. Virtual
> clients did install and run successfully.

That's good to hear!

> I tried several other bind mount and simple mounts but I don't get it
> properly mounted.
> Have you some idea about that?
> I would just like to mount the /srv/nfs4/home0 onto /dev/mapper/vg00-lvhome
> and have /lan/mainserver/home0 correctly linked.

Usually it's the other way round:  You mount the partition on where your
home directories are going to live.  Then you bind mount that
directory to '/srv/nfs4/home0' to make it available for exports,
cf. /etc/fstab:

[...]
/dev/vg_system/home     /lan/mainserver/home0   ext4    usrquota ...
[...]
/lan/mainserver/home0    /srv/nfs4/home0        none    bind    ...

Hope that helps a bit.  As I'm not sure if I go you right, please
describe your problems and modifications in more detail if I got
something wrong.

Best regards,

     Andi