[debian-lan-devel] Gateway Class separate from SERVER_A class.

Andreas B. Mundt andi.mundt at web.de
Sat May 4 14:13:07 UTC 2013

Hi Andreas,

On Sat, May 04, 2013 at 11:45:43AM +0200, Andreas Schockenhoff wrote:

> an Idea.
>
> For testing I will also install a gateway from my DebianLan_Gateway
> Server. Also installing
> both type of mainserver (with and without gateway) will be good.
>
> So I suggest a new mainserver with two Network interfaces named
> example: mainservgw.
> And a computer named gateway.
>
> With the new mainservgw we can also reduce the DebianLanCD to one.
>
>  * debian-lan_wheezy_20130326_amd64.iso
>    <http://das-netzwerkteam.de/%7Eandi.mundt/debian-lan_wheezy_20130326_amd64.iso>
>  * debian-lan_wheezy_2NICs_20130326_amd64.iso
>    <http://das-netzwerkteam.de/%7Eandi.mundt/debian-lan_wheezy_2NICs_20130326_amd64.iso>

Do we really need a new hostname?  This would mean we have to change
that in some more places in the config space (we should make this a
variable anyway some time, I know ...).  However, what do you think about
adding a hook like the 'hooks/install.DEFAULT.source' and let the user
at install-time choose one of the two settings: "mainserver and extra
gateway" or "combined setup: mainserver is gateway"?

This can be done with 'dialog' again, I did something comparable for
another project where it was possible to choose a partitioning scheme
(The hook just added the class defining the scheme).  For us, it would
just modify the variable MAINSERVER_IPADDR="10.0.0.10" and make it
identical to the gateway's.

The gateway-machine is a good idea too.  We could include some
firewall, and perhaps move the proxy/filter to that machine.

> In the moment I test this configuration with booting with DHCP over
> MAC addresses. That
> works with minimal changes to the debian lan config space.

Great!

Best regards,

     Andi