[debian-lan-devel] Reinstalling a workstation

Andreas B. Mundt andi.mundt at web.de
Tue Sep 17 20:13:10 UTC 2013

Hi Julien,

On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 10:47:40PM +0200, Julien Lambot wrote:

> Since the upgrade from 0.8 to 0.12, I encounter some issues reinstalling a
> workstation.
>
> The previous install was made while debian-lan add2dhcp was ran and
> workstationXX's mac address added to the dhcpd.conf
>
> When reinstalling, it defaults to a Roaming class instead of picking up
> it's previous Workstation config. (At least it asks for an hostname during
> install).
>
> Any tip on this?

Do you get a menu when booting via PXE?  If not, resolving the
hostname from DNS might not work, which results in asking during
installation.

Please check the IP-address the machine receives from the DHCP-server.
If it's not 10.0.0.X but 10.0.1.X, then the machine is booted as
'unknown' machine offering to run the live system and installing the
roaming machine.

Check if you have the machine in dhcpd.conf:

[...]
group {

   on commit {
        execute("/usr/local/sbin/dhcpd-keytab", host-decl-name);
   }

   host workstation00 {hardware ethernet A1:B2:C3:D4:E5:00; fixed-address 10.0.0.50; ddns-hostname workstation00;}
   host workstation01 {hardware ethernet A1:B2:C3:D4:E5:01; fixed-address 10.0.0.51; ddns-hostname workstation01;}
   [...]

If this is fine and the machine is resolvable by DNS after boot, check
if there is a PXE configuration in /srv/tftp/fai/pxelinux.cfg/ for the
corresponding IP-address.

Please let us know if you find the problem.  I'll try to reinstall a
workstation with a fresh setup as soon as I find time to test if this
is something related to your 'upgrade'.

Best regards and good luck finding the problem,

     Andi