[debian-lan-devel] Reinstalling a workstation

Julien Lambot jlambot at gmail.com
Tue Sep 17 20:40:41 UTC 2013

Hi Andi

> Do you get a menu when booting via PXE?  If not, resolving the
> hostname from DNS might not work, which results in asking during
> installation.

No PXE menu when reinstalling. It automatically pics its config from
/srv/tftp/fai/pxelinux.cfg/0A0000XX

content:
<snip>
# generated by fai-chboot for host 10.0.0.54 with IP 10.0.0.54
default fai-generated

label fai-generated
kernel vmlinuz-3.2.0-4-amd64
append initrd=initrd.img-3.2.0-4-amd64 ip=dhcp  root=/dev/nfs
nfsroot=/srv/fai/nfsroot boot=live  FAI_FLAGS=verbose,sshd,createvt
FAI_CONFIG_SRC=nfs://faiserver/srv/fai/config FAI_ACTION=install
</snip>

> Please check the IP-address the machine receives from the DHCP-server.
> If it's not 10.0.0.X but 10.0.1.X, then the machine is booted as
> 'unknown' machine offering to run the live system and installing the
> roaming machine.
>
> Check if you have the machine in dhcpd.conf:

it is (was) defined in the dhcp
I then removed to redo the procedure. When removed, it picks again the PXE
menu with FAI Machine Information, Roaming or Debian Install.
I did add it again with debian-lan add2dhcp.
Then, it picked the correct IP address and hostname (hostname -f ->
workstation04.intern) and was resolvable and ping-able from the server.

Though it keeps asking for a new hostname.
I'll check through the corresponding script and try to sort it out.

Don't worry testing that, it's not worth your time ;)

Regards
Julien