[debian-lan-devel] Question regarding DNS setup and hostname

Andreas B. Mundt andi.mundt at web.de
Thu Sep 10 07:20:08 UTC 2015

Hi Eddy,

On Wed, Sep 09, 2015 at 03:19:18PM -0700, Eddy_Kim wrote:
> I am trying to install Sun of Grid Engine on Debian-Lan system. I am running
> into an issue regarding hostname and DNS setup.
>
> My issue is similar to a topic discussed in this thread
> http://arc.liv.ac.uk/pipermail/gridengine-users/2007-October/016288.html.
>
> The main error message is " It is not supported for a Grid Engine
> installation that the local hostname  contains the hostname "localhost"
> and/or the IP address "127.0.x.x" of the loopback interface. The "localhost"
> hostname should be reserved for the loopback interface ("127.0.0.1") and the
> real hostname should be assigned to one of the > physical or logical network
> interfaces of this machine. "
>
> I have tried to change hostname and its ip address but I am not finding easy
> to change anything as Debian-Lan is setting up the DNS server. The hostname
> remains <myhostname>.intern and its corresponding address is 127.0.0.1.

You can provide your own '/etc/hosts' file within the FAI config
space.  For the mainserver this is 'files/etc/hosts/mainserver' [1]
and you can modify it according to your needs.

The same could be done for the clients, just add the file to the FAI
config space like 'files/etc/hosts/FAIBASE' or
'files/etc/hosts/CLIENT_A' (where CLIENT_A is the class the clients
are part of).  In the latter case you need to distribute the file with
the fcopy command somewhere in a script in 'scripts/CLIENT_A'.

/etc/hosts is handled at the following places, probably you need to
modify that as well (the modifications above might take precedence):

   fai/config$ grep -r '/etc/hosts' *
   hooks/install.DEFAULT.source:            sed -i "1 a127.0.1.1   ${HOSTNAME}.intern  ${HOSTNAME}" /etc/hosts
   scripts/FAIBASE/10-misc:    ainsl -vs /etc/hosts "$IPADDR   $HOSTNAME.$DOMAIN $HOSTNAME"
   scripts/FAIBASE/10-misc:    ainsl -vs /etc/hosts "127.0.0.1 $HOSTNAME"
   scripts/FAIBASE/10-misc:fcopy -iM /etc/hosts /etc/motd
   scripts/DISKLESS_CLIENT/10-misc:fcopy -Mv /etc/hosts

Does this help with your problem?  Don't hesitate to clarify if I did
not get the problem right.

Best regards,

     Andi

[1] https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/collab-maint/debian-lan.git/tree/fai/config/files/etc/hosts/mainserver