[debian-lan-devel] Convert a Minimal Debian Installation

Andreas B. Mundt andi.mundt at web.de
Tue Jan 12 12:37:01 UTC 2016

Hi Richard,

On Tue, Jan 12, 2016 at 11:26:02AM +0100, Richard C Hidalgo Lorite wrote:
> I'm following @andi advise to use a convert for reusing my disk with debian
> jeesie in one partition and /lan/mainserver/home0 in another following this
> instructions:
>
> http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=collab-maint/debian-lan.git;a=blob;f=debian/README.Debian
>
> Several questions:
>
> 1) Do I have to do all the stuff, convert and reboot plugged to the
> internal net 10.0.0.0 without executing fai-setup -v nor fai-make-nfs-root?

You need to connect the machine to a network providing a DHCP IP
address to run the installation successfully (downloading packages).
After that, the conversion modifies the network configuration to make
the machine a Debian-LAN mainserver.

> 2) It seems that scripts/SERVER_A/70-dirvish hangs if I have mounted
> /lan/mainserver/home0 before convert. Attached fstab.

Hm, I am not sure if I understand your problem.  You've installed
jessie, then mounted the old partition and after that did the
conversion?  And during the conversion 'scripts/SERVER_A/70-dirvish'
failed?  Can you figure out from /var/log/fai/ ... what happened?

> 3) https://wiki.debian.org/DebianLAN/bootstrap#preview convert minimal
> debian is not c onsistent with
> http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=collab-maint/debian-lan.git;a=blob;f=debian/README.Debian
> . Don't you think is better to delete wiki description and refer only the
> README?

I agree, thanks for the pointer.  I have updated the wiki page just
now.

Regards,

        Andi