[Debian-med-packaging] Licensing question about Insight Toolkit ( VXL / toms / ACM and non-commercial license conflict with BSD license).

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Fri Jan 29 20:25:18 UTC 2010

Andreas,

We fully agree on reusing libraries,  and we love
to do it whenever we can.

However, in our case, we manage a toolkit that is
expected to be used in many platforms, not only
Linux, but also Windows, Macs and SunOS.

That tends to be the reason why we carry along
with the toolkit a set of third party libraries that
are essential.

I believe, that when packaged for Linux, ITK is
then configured to use the libraries that are
available in the system (i.e. png, tiff, jpeg, zlib).

We probably should look at options for extending
this type of configuration to the numerical libraries.

    Luis