[Debian-med-packaging] openmrs_1.6.1-1_amd64.changes REJECTED

Misha Koshelev misha680 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 21:20:40 UTC 2010

> I think this is really a good idea if it simplyfies things.  However, I
> do not really think that we need to sit and wait until OpenMRS is
> finally released.  Preparing current prereleases for experimental migth
> be a good idea to be ready with packaging right in time once OpenMRS
> will be released officially.
Agreed

>> I have done some preliminary testing... some caveats on which perhaps
>> you could comment (I am cc'ing Ben on this email) at your leisure:
>> 1) Per recommendation in
>> http://lists.debian.org/debian-java/2010/10/msg00017.html
>> I am using maven-repo-helper and maven-deb-helper from the developer's PPA:
>> "You will have more luck by taking the latest versions of
>> maven-repo-helper and maven-debian-helper at my repository:
>> https://launchpad.net/~ludovicc/+archive/ppa/"
>> We would, I understand, have to wait until these made it into unstable
>> (not sure whether or not by the end of the year is reasonable for
>> this???)
>
> I guess Ludovic will answer this question.
Still not 100% clear on this unfortunately. But I double checked again
in my new post to debian-java (thank you very much Ludovic for work on
the relevant apparent bug in maven-repo-helper).

>> 2) One package on which we depend, libspring-test-java, is in Debian
>> _experimental_. Would this mean that our package would then need to go
>> into experimental as well, leading to, to my understanding (please
>> correct me if wrong):
>
> The best idea in this case is to contact the maintainer of the package
> in question about the reason why the package remains in experimental.
> Perhaps there are chances to move to unstable if there are other
> programs that need this package.  A package in unstable can not depend
> from a package in experimental.
Ludovic answered, in this email:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-java/2010/11/msg00028.html
"About Spring 3: this package is now in experimental, but once Squeeze is
released, it will move to Unstable then Testing. This means that with
some luck it will be picked up automatically by the next Ubuntu,
otherwise it's always possible to file a sync request at Ubuntu and
manually include the latest package into the Universe repository of
Ubuntu. The same applies to my packages."

Perhaps yourself or someone else on the debian-med list has input into
when such a release of Squeeze could be expected to occur (My
understanding is that Debian does not have a "fixed" release schedule
like Ubuntu; but I mean more a ballpark estimate).

> Kind regards and thanks for your work on OpenMRS
Thank you for all your help with this packaging business :)

Yours
Misha