[Debian-med-packaging] discussion: removal of packages from SCM repository

Steffen Möller steffen_moeller at gmx.de
Thu Dec 1 09:43:36 UTC 2011

On 12/01/2011 10:15 AM, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 10:13:04PM +0100, Thorsten Alteholz wrote:
>
>> The question is: In case a package has been removed from Debian, is
>> there any need to keep it in the repository? Or is it sufficient to
>> just create a README.status and purge the rest?
> To avoid missunderstandings: Thorsten was asking whether to keep it in
> the SVN/Git repository (not the Debian package repository where the
> package in question was removed from).
>
> The question is whether our SVN/Git should at least reflect the latest
> packaging status (which could be restored in two ways by either checking
> out a specified revision or using snapshots.d.o) or just clean up
> everything.  An example is given in:
>
>    svn://svn.debian.org/svn/debian-med/trunk/packages/molphy/trunk
>
> where Thorsten decided to just keep README.status.  We will have the
> next case soonish once the denoiser package is removed (I asked for
> removal because this code is now included in qiime).
>
> What do you think?
Hm. As long as we have something in some distribution of ours,
like oldstable, it may be worthwhile to keep it in our SCM. Also, since
we happily keep packages that just "are not ready yet" for our
main distribution, I would not mind so much to have packages still
with us in the SCM that are no longer distributed.

I suggest to leave it to the maintainer or "whoever cares most
about the package" to decide.

Best,

Steffen