[Debian-med-packaging] MP patch for PhyML

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Mon Feb 14 14:26:42 UTC 2011

Hi PhyML authors,

when discssing with Diego about a program which uses PhyML he told me
about his MP patch which would enable making use of hybrid memory when
running PhyML on clusters.  I was considering to port this patch to the
Debian packaged version where I intended to support two versions of
the package: one conventional phylip and one phylip-mp.

When inspecting the patch I noticed that it was done against an older
version of PhyML (20100123).  I would consider it a reasonable idea if
this patch would be included into the upstream version by just wrapping
it into "#ifdef"s properly to enable switching between both versions by
simply providing different options to make.  If the patch would be taken
over into the official PhyML code this would simplify our work as
distributor (as well as Diego's work) and it might be of extra value for
other users.

What do you think about this idea?