[Debian-med-packaging] Inspection of Biomaj-watcher packaging

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Tue Mar 1 20:36:35 UTC 2011

Hi Olivier,

I just had a look at biomaj-watcher and will give some comments on its
packaging.  At first I really wonder whether upstream can be convined to
provide something that would qualify as a "usual upstream source".  For
instance I'd regard it as usual to have some source code and a build
system using ant or maven which builds the needed jars and moves the
files to a target directory.  Having some readily created installation
directory with *.class files without java files is probably not
acceptable.

For the jar files in usr/share/java/webapps/biomaj-watcher/WEB-INF/lib
I would like to advise you to have a deeper look into

   http://ftp-master.debian.org/users/twerner/jar-content.txt.gz

or you also might like to give apt-file a try.  For instance there is

$ apt-file search log4j-1.2.15.jar
liblog4j1.2-java: /usr/share/maven-repo/log4j/log4j/1.2.15/log4j-1.2.15.jar

which fits exactly the jar inside biomaj-watcher archive.  Another example
is not that fortunate:

$ apt-file search commons-lang- | grep \.jar$
jspwiki: /usr/share/jspwiki/WEB-INF/lib/commons-lang-2.3.jar
libcommons-lang-java: /usr/share/java/commons-lang-2.4.jar
libcommons-lang-java: /usr/share/maven-repo/commons-lang/commons-lang/2.4/commons-lang-2.4.jar
libcommons-lang-java: /usr/share/maven-repo/commons-lang/commons-lang/debian/commons-lang-debian.jar

shows that Debian packaged version is lagging behind (some bug report
"new version available" would be apropriate).  It would be good to
work down the complete list of jars to find out what jar we could
easily replace (or did I just spotted the only usable Debian package
with log4j??).