[Debian-med-packaging] r6263 - trunk/packages/gbrowse/trunk/debian

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Mon Mar 14 12:25:20 UTC 2011

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 08:53:55PM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> I would like to say that I humbly disagree. Removing the .pl suffixes is extra
> work and cuts us from upstream documentation and pristine installations.

I checked again and the removal of the suffix is suggested in policy[1].

> The policy on suffixes is only important when multiple packages implement in
> different languages the same program with the same interface (same command line
> options, …).

As far as I remember the rgument was not that it affects several
coexisting scripts at the same time but rather compatibility problems if
somebody decides to rewrite a .sh script into .pl and perhaps later on
somebody else rewrites in .py or whatever.

I have read several other quite sensible reasons to not specify the
language in a name of a script at all.  To come back to your argument
with upstream docs and pristine installations:  The suggested way to
solve this is to educate upstream about these issues.

I admit that this can become a hard piece of extra work for in some
cases questionable use.  However, IMHO Debian does not only bring
software from the author to the user but it also brings knowledge to the
author.

In any case I'd think the discussion should be not done here but rather
on debian-devel where it belongs to.

[1] http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-files.html#s-scripts