[Debian-med-packaging] Problems with Git handling in package grinder: upstream branch was missing

Charles Plessy charles-listes-med-packaging at plessy.org
Thu May 3 08:08:55 UTC 2012

Le Thu, May 03, 2012 at 09:32:34AM +0200, Andreas Tille a écrit :

> $ debcheckout --git-track '*' --user=tille grinder
> $ cd grinder
> $ git branch
>   logs/amd64
> * master
>   pristine-tar
>   upstream
> $ git tag
> debian/0.4.4-1
> debian/0.4.4-2
> logs/0.4.4-1
> logs/0.4.4-2
> upstream/0.4.5
>

> It seems there was no upstream/0.4.4 commited whether you use --git-track or
> not.  And I do not see the debian/ dir.  If I
>
>   $ git checkout debian/0.4.4-2
>
> then it is there but I'm not on HEAD any more.  I guess I might have
> mixed up things (again - sorry for this) and I wonder how I now can bring
> back the debian/ dir to HEAD (branch master)???

The situation was worse than I thought, as there was no upstream branch before
you added 0.4.5.  When merging from upstream, you actually discarded the debian
directory.

It was still available in old revisions, but as you saw, they are not at the
head of a branch, so they can not be used by git-buildpackage.

I reverted your change, and simply upgraded by unpacking the upstream tarball
in the master branch and committing the changed and new files.

Now that we have a proper upstream branch, the next update should be easy through
git-buildpackage with the usual procedure.

Cheers,

--
Charles