[Debian-med-packaging] [MoM] Packaging of python-csb - Report #4

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Mon Nov 5 20:32:38 UTC 2012

Hi Tomás,

thanks for your next report.

On Mon, Nov 05, 2012 at 03:38:52PM +0100, Tomás Di Domenico wrote:
> I forgot to add: I'm in the process of contacting the upstream authors
> to see about the possibility of having easier access to the sources.

That's great.  Even if I see chances for a working watchfile despite [1]
it is perfectly reasonable to teach upstream about the problems they are
causing by using this way to provide their source.

Hint:  You might always CC the mailing list about these activities for
further reference / cut-n-pasting for similar cases / informing team
mates that this has just happened.

Hint to this hint:  It might be a very good idea to *BCC* upstream to
hide their address from the mailing list archive.  While I'm usually a
fan of fully open discussions it is not always wanted to uncover some
not so visible e-mail addresses on highly frequented mailing lists which
are a valuable resource for spammers.

> On 05/11/12 15:37, Tomás Di Domenico wrote:
> > Dear Andreas,
> >
> > after some research on the issue, all I could find are negatives on the
> > possibility of writing a watch file for Codeplex. I've taken two steps:
> >
> > 1) Copied and commited a watch file of a package in a similar situation [1]

That's better than nothing, thought.

> > 2) Contacted the maintainer of the package, and confirmed that to the
> > best of his understanding the situation has not changed.

That's a good idea to contact other maintainers - as you might have
noticed I have choosen the way I proposed in one of my previous mails to
contact debian-mentors at lists.debian.org.

> > On other news, I submitted a request for comments on the package to the
> > Python list [2], and am awaiting replies.

I'm subscribed to this list as well and have read your request.  Lets see
what people might comment.