[Debian-med-packaging] Packaging GNU Health

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Sat Nov 24 08:12:46 UTC 2012

Hi Emilien,

On Fri, Nov 23, 2012 at 09:24:29PM +0100, Emilien Klein wrote:

> Just to keep you updated, I've been able to properly install GNU
> Health from source [0]. The issue I was facing were due to missing
> dependencies for the Tryton modules, still need to file a bug about
> that ;)

Thanks for the update.  Could you please clarify where you consider
filing a bug?

> GNU Health depends on Tryton 2.4. That version was present in
> Experimental a month ago, but now it's been upgraded to 2.6, and I
> don't think there is a way to get the 2.4 Debian packages back from
> Experimental, is there?

While you can find all past packages at snapshot.debian.org and you can
even put this into your sources list but it is somehow hackish and I
would not recommend asking users to put a snapshots entry of
experimental packages in their sources.list.

I do not think that reviving packages of outdated versions straight into
Debian (which is in principle possible with versioned packages like you
have several versions of Python) is promising considering the fact you
describe below that GnuHealth is migrating to 2.6 as well.

> The next version of GNU Health will depend on Tryton 2.6, but I don't
> know for when that new release is planned...

You might consider basing your packaging effort on a Snapshot from
GnuHealth version control system.  This would enable you verifying
whether the packaging might work as expected and once the new version
is released you might be able to come up with a package quickly.

> This means that for now I can't really continue my packaging efforts,
> as that dependency is not available anymore... I'll keep checking, and
> will tell you when things can start moving again.

Thanks for the update