[Debian-med-packaging] Please Help With Python App Package conservation-code

Jakub Wilk jwilk at debian.org
Wed Oct 10 16:39:45 UTC 2012

* Laszlo Kajan <lkajan at rostlab.org>, 2012-10-09, 23:09:
>I have a new Python app hosted at the Debian Med team:
>conservation-code.
>
> svn+ssh://lkajan-guest@svn.debian.org/svn/debian-med/trunk/packages/conservation-code/trunk
>
>Although (or since) it is not at the Python team, please have a look at
>it, and give me your comments, as I am not experienced with Python.

Nitpicking: build-dependency on python should be at least >= 2.6.6-3~.

Both tabs and spaces are used for indentation. Given that amount of
whitespace is significant in Python, this is a very bad idea. Please ask
upstream to use either always tab or always spaces.

debian/patches/score_conservation bundles multiple unrelated fixes.
Could spilt it into multiple patches, with meaningful descriptions? :)

Now some non-Python stuff I noticed:

Build-depdency on debhelper should be at least >= 8.9.7 (this is the
version in which support for override_*-arch and override_*-indep was
added.) Alternatively, you could do s/build-indep/build/ in
debian/rules, and keep the debhelper version as >= 8.

Build-dependency on perl is missing (for pod2man). While perl is
transitively-build-essential, it's not something you can rely on.

Policy §4.9 says that the get-orig-source target may be invoked in any
directory. However, your g-o-s works only when invoked in the main
directory (because otherwise dpkg-parsechangelog fails).

Why do you repack the tarball, BTW? README.source mentions that upstream
tarball is not versioned and that the main executable has .py extension.
The former is not itself a reason to repack; the latter could be
corrected for the binary package in debian/rules.

Lintian reports:

P: conservation-code: no-upstream-changelog

You could extract changelog from the script, e.g. with:
sed -n -e '/# [0-9/]\{8\}/ { s/# // p }' < score_conservation

--
Jakub Wilk