[Debian-med-packaging] Fwd: Re: Feature Suggestion with Patch - Please Advise

Laszlo Kajan lkajan at rostlab.org
Sat Oct 13 22:35:32 UTC 2012

Dear Team, Charles, Erik, Steffen!

I need the hmmer3 functionality I describe below in point 1 and 3, and Sean Eddy (author/upstream of method) says there might be something like
this in version 3.1 (I am forwarding his email below).

But I need the functionality already, as is implemented in my patches.

* What do you recommend I do?:

1: I can patch hmmer3 and put it into our in-house repository at <http://rostlab.org/debian/>. People interested can grab it from there.

2: I can open a branch for hmmer3 in the DebMed repo, where I can commit my patches, and those who are interested can build it. We could put it
into 'experimental'. This option works together with 1.

3: I can patch hmmer3, mark these features as volatile/experimental wherever they are documented, with a note about Sean's intentions, and we
can upload it into Debian as a new version. This way others may benefit from my patches most easily. However, those who start relying on the new
features (and command line arguments) provided, will be upset (regardless of the warning) when the new command line arguments disappear. That is
in case Sean brings out these features under other arguments, or with somewhat different meaning, or not at all (yet).

So please advise. 1: is my default option in case of a timeout.

Thank you!

Best regards,

Laszlo