[Debian-med-packaging] Update on R 3.0.0 migration (Was: R 3.0.0 and required rebuilds of all reverse Depends: of R)

Chris Lawrence lawrencc at debian.org
Sat Apr 6 23:30:13 UTC 2013

On Sat, Apr 6, 2013 at 4:55 PM, Julian Gilbey <jdg at debian.org> wrote:
> So something doesn't make sense somewhere: if my package doesn't care
> which version of R it's building against, but R itself cares, then
> surely there should be some way of querying r-base-dev during the
> build process to enquire which version is required?  It is almost
> certainly too late to do anything about this for wheezy, but it would
> be good to think about doing something for wheezy+1.  Ideally, this
> would be by creating a misc substvar so that instead of having to
> specify the version of r-base-core in the Depends: field, it could be
> specified just as ${misc:Depends} and then filled in automatically.

If you're using cdbs and r-cran.mk in debian/rules, you can add
Depends: ${R:Depends} to debian/control to pick up the current binary
dependency.  I've migrated almost all of my packages over and it makes
life easier.

Probably down the road it'd be good to create some lintian checks for
things like this dependency.  (The holy grail would be to verify build
dependencies and binary dependencies against the upstream
DESCRIPTION.)

Chris