[Debian-med-packaging] Update on R 3.0.0 migration (Was: R 3.0.0 and required rebuilds of all reverse Depends: of R)

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sun Apr 7 00:48:20 UTC 2013

On 6 April 2013 at 19:30, Chris Lawrence wrote:
| On Sat, Apr 6, 2013 at 4:55 PM, Julian Gilbey <jdg at debian.org> wrote:
| > So something doesn't make sense somewhere: if my package doesn't care
| > which version of R it's building against, but R itself cares, then
| > surely there should be some way of querying r-base-dev during the
| > build process to enquire which version is required?  It is almost
| > certainly too late to do anything about this for wheezy, but it would
| > be good to think about doing something for wheezy+1.  Ideally, this
| > would be by creating a misc substvar so that instead of having to
| > specify the version of r-base-core in the Depends: field, it could be
| > specified just as ${misc:Depends} and then filled in automatically.
|
| If you're using cdbs and r-cran.mk in debian/rules, you can add
| Depends: ${R:Depends} to debian/control to pick up the current binary
| dependency.  I've migrated almost all of my packages over and it makes
| life easier.

Right. "What Chris said."  This is something Andreas and Charles have pushed
for and which most of the 150+ r-cran-packages now use. One example from one
of my 100-ish r-cran-* packages:

   Build-Depends: debhelper (>= 7), r-base-dev (>= 3.0.0), cdbs
   [...]
   Depends: ${shlibs:Depends}, ${R:Depends}

The Build-Depends: edit is manual.

The one in Depends: no longer is. That is useful.

Dirk