[Debian-med-packaging] [MoM] Another Debian Med MoM for February!

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Sat Feb 2 09:55:03 UTC 2013

Hi Emmanuel,

On Fri, Feb 01, 2013 at 06:29:36PM +0100, Emmanuel Promayon wrote:
> I would like to candidate as well for Debian Med MoM in February (if
> Andreas is still up to it!)

... as promised. :-)

> My initial plan under the MoM is the following:
> - (re)read debian policy, debian-med policy and related documents
> from the beginning (I went through very quickly in July last year
> and have to say I forgot a lot). I would like to make sure I am not
> asking questions where RTFM would be the best answer!
> - update upstream source tarball
> - generate another lib package from the source tarball
> (libqtpropertybrowser), this is a tool used in CamiTK but can be
> used for other projects as well

I guess this is the first item where I could be of any help.  I'd
recommend seeking in SVN for other packages generating libraries.

> - generate another source tarball (separate from camitk tarball) for
> the camitk tetgen plugin package + the associated debian package
> (optional and that uses the tetgen package already in debian)

This was just discussed here on the list.

> - other things that I will learn under MoM to improve the package!

Feel free to query any questions this channel. :-)

> Also, I saw that ubuntu 13.04 already includes the libcamitk
> packages, although they are still in unstable. I don't think it is a
> good idea (the package still has a severe bug due to tetgen source
> code inclusion).

Unfortunately I personally have no idea how the Ubuntu release process
works.  If you consider this a problem it might be a good idea to file
something like an RC bug to Launchpad - no idea what effect this might
have.

> I also saw that what they call "debian freeze" is
> planned for 14 Feb.
> If I understood well after this date they won't take any new update,
> and I would prefer to solve the tetgen problem before that.

The only support I can give to this plan is helping you to get out the
package quickly.  However, the usual Debian development model is not to
do things quickly but rather thoroughly - no idea how both will fit.

> So my objective is to concentrate my work on the package/MoM as much
> as possible before that date.
>
> Looking forward to start this MoM and welcome any contributions
> about it! Sorry in advance for my simplistic or wrong views about
> packaging...

The MoM effort was invented to change this.  If there would be only
packaging experts around there would be no MoM. ;-)

Thanks for your work on this

     Andreas.