[Debian-med-packaging] LibreOffice 4.0 and your package using pyUNO and python(3)-uno

Rene Engelhard rene at debian.org
Sun Feb 3 20:31:39 UTC 2013

Hi,

since some months I am also building a python3-uno for pyUNO

 python3-uno | 1:3.5.4+dfsg-4         | wheezy            | amd64, armel, armhf, i386, ia64, kfreebsd-amd64, kfreebsd-i386, mips, mipsel, powerpc, s390, s390x, sparc
 python3-uno | 1:3.5.4+dfsg-4         | sid               | amd64, armel, armhf, i386, ia64, kfreebsd-amd64, kfreebsd-i386, mips, mipsel, powerpc, s390, s390x, sparc
 python3-uno | 1:3.6.4-1              | experimental      | amd64, armel, i386, kfreebsd-amd64, kfreebsd-i386, powerpc, s390, s390x

in addition to the "normal" python-uno as a _nice-to-have, use if you need_
package to try stuff against. Now - with LibreOffice 4.0 - python3 is the
*default* python for LibreOffice so python3-uno is the preferred package in
LibreOffices dependencies. That said, because of API stuff and string changes
etc[1] it needs *>= 3.3*.

I will keep a pyUNO build against 2.6 around for sometime - unfortunately,
building a second flavour (here: 2) is not as easy anymore as in the previous
(upto 3.6 - at least for the pyuno module) buildsystem; now with GNU make we
need a crude hack and a symlink farm.

A "import uno" in a python2 shell with python-uno still works; but I'd prefer
 - if you tested your package against the new python-uno to check whether
   more complex stuff works ;)
 - if you tested your package with python3(.3) and python3-uno and add this
   as an alternative to your depends/recommends/suggests if your program works
 - if you tested your package with python3(.3) and python3-uno and add this
   dependency/suggestion to a new python3-* package

Test-debs are on http://people.debian.org/~rene/libreoffice/4.0.0.

I think the most important thing is to ensure that python-uno (2.7) still
works as intended, after that we slowly[2] can migrate to python3-compatible
stuff.

Regards,

Rene

[1] TTOBMK, and for the API I wasn't able to fix the build; maybe I oversaw
    something really obvious, though...
[2] Not that slowly, upstream only wants to keep python2 support for "a few
    releases" only