[Debian-med-packaging] mriconvert packaging / NeuroDebian derivative

Steve M. Robbins steve at sumost.ca
Tue Feb 12 16:08:37 UTC 2013

On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 09:24:12AM -0500, Yaroslav Halchenko wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Feb 2013, Steve M. Robbins wrote:

> > On second thought, however: what happens when Debian makes a new release?  The
> > patches would tend to need updating.
>
> unless you keep changing portions of debian/control which get patched -- and if
> you keep our backporting patches in the official package -- nothing would need
> to be done on our side besides dget + debdiff (analysis of what changed) +
> nd_build4allnd

Yes.  The parts of control that you patch are precisely the most volatile
ones: the debhelper version and build-deps.  I make no promise to be able
to update the nd_ patches appropriately.

> if we are to maintain patches -- I have the git-svn'ed cloned of your packaging
> -- so I will maintain a branch containing backporting patches and it will be a
> tiny bit more work.
>
> >  Which would mean changing the Debian
> > sources again?  Have you done this already with some other package?
>
> > Maybe the better model is to treat NeuroDebian as a derivative like Ubuntu is,
> > where they maintain a diff against the Debian version.  How is the Debian
> > backports maintained?

To clarify, my question about "Debian backports" meant the semi-official
ones at backports.debian.org.  They must face the same issue and I know
they solve it without putting extra patches in the debian repository.

-Steve