[Debian-med-packaging] mriconvert packaging / NeuroDebian derivative

Yaroslav Halchenko debian at onerussian.com
Tue Feb 12 16:28:55 UTC 2013

On Tue, 12 Feb 2013, Steve M. Robbins wrote:
> > unless you keep changing portions of debian/control which get patched -- and if
> > you keep our backporting patches in the official package -- nothing would need
> > to be done on our side besides dget + debdiff (analysis of what changed) +
> > nd_build4allnd

> Yes.  The parts of control that you patch are precisely the most volatile
> ones: the debhelper version and build-deps.  I make no promise to be able
> to update the nd_ patches appropriately.

I would not even ask for such a burden -- I would do that myself
whenever patch refreshing is necessary.  But e.g. if you just keep
uploading bugfixes (as separate patches) -- those patches would
not need to be changed.  and debhelper versioning -- it is really not
that volatile ;)

> > if we are to maintain patches -- I have the git-svn'ed cloned of your packaging
> > -- so I will maintain a branch containing backporting patches and it will be a
> > tiny bit more work.

> > >  Which would mean changing the Debian
> > > sources again?  Have you done this already with some other package?

> > > Maybe the better model is to treat NeuroDebian as a derivative like Ubuntu is,
> > > where they maintain a diff against the Debian version.  How is the Debian
> > > backports maintained?

> To clarify, my question about "Debian backports" meant the semi-official
> ones at backports.debian.org.  They must face the same issue and I know
> they solve it without putting extra patches in the debian repository.

yeap -- by maintaining their patching in wherever they like (or
committing as a branch to the official SVN) since there is no official
guidelines on that AFAIK, and exposing the packaging on the
official debian.org (luxury we do not have with NeuroDebian unless our
patches become a part of an official .dsc).
--
Yaroslav O. Halchenko
http://neuro.debian.net http://www.pymvpa.org http://www.fail2ban.org