[Debian-med-packaging] GNU Health [1.8.0] (new version)

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Wed Feb 20 08:28:11 UTC 2013

Hi Emilien,

On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 10:17:51PM +0100, Emilien Klein wrote:

> When working on this package I started from a fresh `dh_make` and
> progressively added more changes, explaining the changes to
> Standards-Version, debhelper and debian/compat. The values come from
> dh_make at that time, no problem in updating them.

As I recently mentioned on Debian Med user list[1] dh_make is not always
the best way to get teh initial packaging done and I would rather
recommend the packaging template in svn[2] because it implements part
of our policy.

> Completely agree. Because I'm doing most of my work on the move
> (without an Internet connection that is), and the repo using SVN, I
> didn't commit bit by bit, and as a result didn't include detailed
> enough changelog message. I'll make sure to do that in the future.

If it might better fit your workflow there is always the option to use
Git.

> Andreas commented [0] that the steps described therein is what we
> would try to already perform for our users in the maintainers'
> scripts. I do agree it would make sense to create the database, the
> user, etc. to make it directly usable after installation. Not sure
> what to do about the PostgreSQL configuration, not sure we should mess
> with that...

Unfortunately we are not allowed to mess with other packages
configuration files.  I really wished postgresql would enable some
kind of

   /etc/postgresql/<version>/main/pg_hba.conf.d

mechanism where you could drop configuration lines.  This would be
really helpful for several packages (not sure whether a bug about this
is filed - if not we should consider this.)

> Do you have any suggestions/ideas on how to handle this?

Well, there is

   apt-cache show dbconfig-common

which I tried to some extend - no idea if it is sufficient for this
package.

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-med/2013/02/msg00113.html
[2] svn://svn.debian.org/svn/debian-med/trunk/package_template