[Debian-med-packaging] Improving the Gentle package

Matthias Klumpp matthias at tenstral.net
Tue Jan 1 19:00:22 UTC 2013

Hi!
Sorry for the long delay, but some unexpected events happened which
stopped me from replying faster. Also, there was christmas and
Silvester, so first of all:
  Happy new year to eveeryone!

Now the GENtle part. I now included the mailinglist, so for people who
are interested a very short summary: We are discussing improvements in
GENtle/the GENtle packaging. I started with a request to do some minor
tweaks on the GENtle package, because I always wanted to do that (and
get in touch with the Debian-Med team) and haven't had the time yet.
I'm also in the NM process at time, so I would do this as work-sample
for the NM process.

@Magnus/Steffen: I can imagine packaging GENtle2 and maintaining it -
it works here, but the supported features are quite limited. At time,
I would rather use the original GENtle. Also, GENtle2 is more a
complete rewrite than a successor to the original tool.
Magnus, you said you started porting GENtle to Qt4 - what were the
difficulties, and have you thought about publishing your initial work,
even if it is not working? Maybe others are interested and can help
with that.

For me at time, I can only do very less work, unfortunately. I am busy
with writing exams in January/February and feature/bugfix requests
regarding the Freedesktop projects I'm involved in are piling up here,
and these take priority at time. (but the most time-cosuming tasks are
the exams :P) However, I'll do as much as I can to bring GENtle in an
excellent shape for Debian.
At time, I'm trying to set up the SVN packaging stuff to make changes
on the GENtle packaging and push them back.

Is there a demand for GENtle2 in Debian? (the name is unfortunate, in
case the original GENTle will reach version 2 in future...) If so,
I'll look into it.

Cheers,
   Matthias

P.S: Please keep thijs and Magnus in CC as long as they want to, both
are not subscribed to the list.