[Debian-med-packaging] Improving the Gentle package

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Wed Jan 2 22:14:53 UTC 2013

Hi Matthias,

On Tue, Jan 01, 2013 at 08:00:22PM +0100, Matthias Klumpp wrote:
> Hi!
> Sorry for the long delay, but some unexpected events happened which
> stopped me from replying faster. Also, there was christmas and
> Silvester, so first of all:
>   Happy new year to eveeryone!

Thanks and no problem for the delay - exams and real life things should
have preference for sure.

> I'm also in the NM process at time, so I would do this as work-sample
> for the NM process.

Applying for DM/DD is fine but to work on Debian packages this is not
required - we have a large record of sponsoring in the Debian Med team.

> However, I'll do as much as I can to bring GENtle in an
> excellent shape for Debian.

Sounds good.

> At time, I'm trying to set up the SVN packaging stuff to make changes
> on the GENtle packaging and push them back.

Just let us know in case of any problem.

> Is there a demand for GENtle2 in Debian? (the name is unfortunate, in
> case the original GENTle will reach version 2 in future...) If so,
> I'll look into it.

I personally can not answer this question.  Usually we do not keep
different versions of packages if the new version is feature complete
and tested.  But we also have packages with different versions.

> P.S: Please keep thijs and Magnus in CC as long as they want to, both
> are not subscribed to the list.

As far as I have understood Thijs he is not very much involved in Debian
Med any more.  I'd suggest to drop him except if he insists beeing CCed.