[Debian-med-packaging] Improving the Gentle package

Matthias Klumpp matthias at tenstral.net
Wed Jan 2 22:48:42 UTC 2013

Hi!

2013/1/2 Andreas Tille <andreas at an3as.eu>:
> [...]
>> I'm also in the NM process at time, so I would do this as work-sample
>> for the NM process.
>
> Applying for DM/DD is fine but to work on Debian packages this is not
> required - we have a large record of sponsoring in the Debian Med team.
Oh, apparently the NM process has changed a lot during the last years,
so this wasn't clear...
I maintain serveral other packages as DM for Debian for several years
already and I am now in the NM process to become DD. The process
requires me to show my AM how I handle issues in Debian, e.g. by
fixing RC bugs or doing other useful stuff. I decided to take a look
at the GENtle package, as well as doing some other work on my existing
packages (which simply needs to be done for the Wheezy release).
Thijs happens to be my AM, that's the reason why he is CC'ed.
I hope this clears this bit up. :-)

> [...]
>> Is there a demand for GENtle2 in Debian? (the name is unfortunate, in
>> case the original GENTle will reach version 2 in future...) If so,
>> I'll look into it.
>
> I personally can not answer this question.  Usually we do not keep
> different versions of packages if the new version is feature complete
> and tested.  But we also have packages with different versions.
Regarding the general "package required" question: It's probably a
good idea to first just follow the GENtle2 project to see how it
develops and get in contact with upstream.

By the way: The GENtle code is indeed not super-easy to read ;-) I'm
currently trying to solve
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gentle/+bug/713273 , one of
the small annoyances I mentioned.

> [...]