[Debian-med-packaging] Distribution of MEME source code

Andreas Tille andreas at fam-tille.de
Mon Jan 21 09:36:40 UTC 2013

Hi James,

On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 12:55:49PM +1000, James Johnson wrote:
> The current organization of the tar balls is not ideal. It's mainly
> that way because we moved to the EBI FTP server in a hurry while the
> meme.nbcr.net server was down and they just copyied the directory
> structure I had setup on my pre-release distribution server (
> http://research.imb.uq.edu.au/~j.johnson/ ) hence while all the
> folders are named rc (release candidate). The original plan was to
> keep the official downloads at NBCR when they recovered their server
> but they've since told us they do not want to host the files as it
> is not part of their "mission statement" (*sigh*).

Thanks for the explanation.

> So now the official server is EBI's FTP site (
> ftp://ftp.ebi.edu.au/pub/software/MEME/ ). While I'm based in the
> same building as the EBI team I (or anyone else on the MEME Suite
> team) don't have direct access to their servers so unfortunately
> re-organising the folder structure will require some back and forth
> with them. When I manage that I will also be making a HTML listing
> with links to the releases because I want to link it from the
> updated menu of our next full release. If you want I can also make a
> extra simplified version to help with your automated update system.

This would be great.

> I'd be happy to create a tar ball release for each patch release but
> we'd still probably release the patches as well because it does make
> updating servers running MEME slightly easier.

We are definitely not wanting you to stop providing patches if this
fits some established workflows.  If there are tar ball releases for
each patch in addition that's perfectly fine and definitely helpful
for us.

Kind regards and many thanks for considering to help us distributing
meme