[Debian-med-packaging] microbiomeutil_20101212-2_amd64.changes REJECTED

Charles Plessy plessy at debian.org
Mon Jul 22 09:39:56 UTC 2013

Le Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 10:42:20AM +0200, Andreas Tille a écrit :
> Hi Luke,
>
> On Sun, Jul 21, 2013 at 05:00:12PM +0000, Luke Faraone wrote:
> >
> > Dear maintainer,
> >
> > Overall, this package looks good.
> >
> > However it contains the logo of the Broad institutue, which per
> > <https://www.broadinstitute.org/news-and-publications/journalists/logos-graphics>
> > is not under a free license. Please repack the tarball and reupload.
>
> Nice catch!

Hi all,

while I appreciate the cooperativeness of Andreas, I again wonder if the
requirement of the FTP team is going too far.  In my understanding, we do not
apply the DFSG to trademark policies or licenses.

For instance, the following page states about the GNOME logo that "The images
included here should be used as provided and should not be modified in any
way."

    https://wiki.gnome.org/BrandGuidelines

However, we do distribute a file reproducing the GNOME logo.

    /usr/share/gnome-control-center/ui/GnomeLogoVerticalMedium.svg

Unless the presence of this file in our archive is a mistake, this demonstrates
that the way we are following our social contract does not forbid us to
distribute logos when their trademark policy or license allow redistribution
trough our media.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy