[Debian-med-packaging] GNU Health [1.8.0] (new version)

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Thu Mar 7 11:56:44 UTC 2013

Hi Emilien,

thanks for your work on GNU Health.

On Wed, Mar 06, 2013 at 11:51:14PM +0100, Emilien Klein wrote:
> I've updated the gnuhealth package in our team's svn repo to package
> the newest version (1.8). Using Tryton 2.6 (server and client)
> packaged in Debian experimental, I've been able to successfully set up
> a GNU Health database using the package produced by this source
> package.

Sounds good.

> A few points (more details in the debian/TODO.Debian file [0]):
> - Automate some of the manual steps
> - health_qrcodes is currently removed from binary package due to
> missing Python library
> - Mention Dmitry in the Files: debian/* section of debian/copyright,
> as he has worked on the package as well.
> - Improvement suggestion: package the demo database in a separate
> gnuhealth_demo package

I'd say for experimental where the packaging is targeting at anyway this
might be OK.  It would be great to work down some parts of your TODO
list before we upload to unstable.

> Please review the package.

I changed the target distribution in d/changelog from unstable to
experimental.  Moreover there are two lintian warnings about the
manpage:

$ lintian gnuhealth_1.8.0-1_amd64.changes
W: gnuhealth: manpage-has-bad-whatis-entry usr/share/man/man1/gnuhealth.1.gz
I: gnuhealth: spelling-error-in-manpage usr/share/man/man1/gnuhealth.1.gz allows to allows one to

One is simply a spelling error but might interest upstream.  The other
is about the fact that you need to have a valid command in the whatis
entry - but the package does not install such a command to /usr/bin at
all.  So even if you would fix the syntax (without spacing I suspect) it
is questionable to install a manpage for a not existing command.  I'm by
all means for provding man pages for programs in /usr/bin but in this
case there is probably no point in installing it at all.  (Sorry if
there was some different advise about this in the past.)

In general I was able to build the package and install it in an
experimental enabled chroot - I did not tested all the steps mentioned
in d/README.Debian.

> Even with the list of things left to do, I believe the package is
> already good enough to be uploaded to Experimental. Let me know what
> you think (FYI I'm a DM, and thus not allowed to upload this new
> package myself)

OK, I could upload if you decided about what to do with the man page.