[Debian-med-packaging] GNU Health in Debian

Emilien Klein emilien+debian at klein.st
Wed May 8 21:35:29 UTC 2013

Hi Mathias,

2013/5/7 Mathias Behrle <mathiasb at m9s.biz>:
> * Mathias Behrle: " Re: [tryton-debian] Dependency on tryton-modules-stock-lot
>   for new version of gnuhealth" (Sat, 4 May 2013 01:08:27 +0200):

[...]
> Some more questions wrt to GNU Health:
>
> 1) AFAIS version 2.0 of the GNU Health modules is announced to run on Tryton
>    version 2.8. Do you currently work on porting them to 2.8? In what way are
>    you related to the GNU health project?

The plan is to package GNU Health 2.0 when it comes out, and upload it
to Debian Sid (this will be the first GNU Health release to hit Sid,
as currently we only uploaded to Experimental).
This is dependent on the different Tryton 2.8 modules being available
in Sid as well, namely the stock lot module you have been working on.
Do you have anyone in particular that could review your RFS on
bug#706957? I see you've included Andreas Tille (member of the Debian
Med team) in your RFS bug report, has Andreas sponsored previous
Tryton packages for you?

With regards to my relation to the GNU health project: I am working
inside the Debian Med team to get it packaged in Debian (and
derivatives). I have contributed a bit on the GNU Health wiki (namely
installation instructions/screenshots), but [not yet] with code. In
short: I am not directly affiliated with the project.

> 2) I already examined some time ago the health modules related to their fitness
>    for their inclusion in Debian. I also talked with Sebastián Marró from
>    Thymbra about this subject at last TUL in Liège/Belgium. I see, that in the
>    meantime a complete new set of icons was created under Creative Commons
>    Attribution Share-Alike (CC-BY-SA) v3.0, which is great!
>    I would like to know the feelings and interests of the GNU Health Devs about
>    the inclusion in Debian.

I do hope they are enthusiastic ;)
The packaging of GNU Health in new Linux distributions (Archlinux and
Parabola) was mentionned as part of the main changes in the 2.0
release date announcement [0]. Luis also congratulated the
announcement of the Parabola packaging [1].

[0] http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/health/2013-04/msg00043.html
[1] http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/health-dev/2013-04/msg00022.html

>    The preliminary summary of my last check is the following:
>
>    * From the licensing perspective we now have GPL-3+ and CC-BY-SA v3.0 for
>      thehttp://lists.virtual-things.org/mailman/listinfo/tryton-debian whole
>      tree, no problems here.
>    * The concatenation of all health modules in just one VCS repository is a
>      little bit unusual. Of course it can ease the handling, when it comes to
>      provide an installation tarball for the method from sources [2]. But
>      perhaps it could not scale in the future.

The way I see it: all GNU Health, packages are installed, but you will
only activate the ones you want to use for your Healthcare System
(that's done in the Modules section directly within Tryton).

>      Nevertheless this is no serious obstacle, since the releases are uploaded
>      to pypi and can be obtained separately from there.
>    * One point still not solved seems to be the integration of the translation
>      done at [3]. It would be good to pull in the locales at release time. Are
>      there any plans to do so?

Good question for the GNU Health developers. I believe the
translations used to be included, but were explicitly removed from a
previous GNU Health version. It does indeed strike me as something
that is not usual, as translations are most often contained in the
release tarballs.

> I would be happy to get some feedback on those questions. Further discussion
> could preferably be moved to some public list [4][5][6][7].

I have included the Debian Med and GNU Health dev lists.

> Regards,
> Mathias
>
> [1] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=706957
> [2] http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/GNU_Health/Installation
> [3] https://www.transifex.com/projects/p/GNU_Health/
> [7] http://lists.debian.org/debian-med/
>
> --
>
>     Mathias Behrle
>     MBSolutions
>     Gilgenmatten 10 A
>     D-79114 Freiburg
>
>     Tel: +49(761)471023
>     Fax: +49(761)4770816
>     http://m9s.biz
>     UStIdNr: DE 142009020
>     PGP/GnuPG key availabable from any keyserver, ID: 0x8405BBF6

   +Emilien