[Debian-med-packaging] Changes to libsbml

Ivo Maintz ivo at maintz.de
Sun Apr 6 20:06:09 UTC 2014

Hi Andreas,

> I have inspected your work on libsbml to sponsor the package.
> Unfortunately it has two major issues which need to be fixed first.
> One issue is that the source contains a minified JavaScript without
> source (prettify.js) which is claimed by lintian as an error.  I
> excluded this file from the source via Files-Excluded.

This appears to be new in lintian? So far, lintian didn't complain
about it, but actually I can see this error to.

> The second issue is that you rebuilded the orig tarball inside the
> clean target.

?! I just tested it (I couldn't believe...), and the source is still
untouched. But the clean target removes all files and unpack it from
the (unmodified!) source. Are we talking about the same thing?

>  This is definitely a no-go.

I know...

> Assume we need to build another Debian package version from this
> upstream version (to fix some bug or a security issue).  The md5sum
> of the new source would not match any more and there is practically
> no chance to upload a new Debian revision since this md5sum is
> verified against the known source tarball at the Debian mirror.

> The consequence is that we'd rather go with a broken clean target than
> doing this dirty trick.  I tried to relax the situation a bit by
> adding some autogenerated files to Files-Excluded - but after doing
> so the package does not build properly any more.  Ivo, do you have
> some clue how to fix the build?

Thats why I delelete everything except of the debian directory and
untar the sources. I do NOT change anything in the source tarball.

> You seem to have more experience  with libsbml than me and perhaps I
> made things worse.  In any case the JavaScript without source is not
> allowed inside the source package and we also can not repack the
> source tarball inside the clean target.

Tomorrow I will review the stuff...

Best,

Ivo