[Debian-med-packaging] Changes to libsbml

Andreas Tille andreas at fam-tille.de
Sun Apr 6 20:25:45 UTC 2014

Hi Ivo,

On Sun, Apr 06, 2014 at 10:06:09PM +0200, Ivo Maintz wrote:
> > I have inspected your work on libsbml to sponsor the package.
> > Unfortunately it has two major issues which need to be fixed first.
> > One issue is that the source contains a minified JavaScript without
> > source (prettify.js) which is claimed by lintian as an error.  I
> > excluded this file from the source via Files-Excluded.
>
> This appears to be new in lintian? So far, lintian didn't complain
> about it, but actually I can see this error to.

Yes, this is a new lintian feature.

> > The second issue is that you rebuilded the orig tarball inside the
> > clean target.
>
> ?! I just tested it (I couldn't believe...), and the source is still
> untouched. But the clean target removes all files and unpack it from
> the (unmodified!) source. Are we talking about the same thing?

If you are creating a new tarball from the very same directory your
chances are very high that the md5sum of the tarball is different (even
if all files are identical).
But see below ... I might have misread your code.

> >  This is definitely a no-go.
>
> I know...
>
> > Assume we need to build another Debian package version from this
> > upstream version (to fix some bug or a security issue).  The md5sum
> > of the new source would not match any more and there is practically
> > no chance to upload a new Debian revision since this md5sum is
> > verified against the known source tarball at the Debian mirror.
>

> > The consequence is that we'd rather go with a broken clean target than
> > doing this dirty trick.  I tried to relax the situation a bit by
> > adding some autogenerated files to Files-Excluded - but after doing
> > so the package does not build properly any more.  Ivo, do you have
> > some clue how to fix the build?
>
> Thats why I delelete everything except of the debian directory and
> untar the sources. I do NOT change anything in the source tarball.

Well, I was probably a bit to quick.  This would not trigger the problem
I tried to describe.  It seems I had some other problem when cleaning up
... need to check.

> > You seem to have more experience  with libsbml than me and perhaps I
> > made things worse.  In any case the JavaScript without source is not
> > allowed inside the source package and we also can not repack the
> > source tarball inside the clean target.
>
> Tomorrow I will review the stuff...

So I might wait then.  I think by using Files-Excluded our chances will
be better with the clean target but probably there is some work left.
If it starts becoming very ugly I would accept your unusual trick which
is in fact not as bad as I assumed in the first place.