[Debian-med-packaging] Status of igraph packaging for Debian

Andreas Tille tille at debian.org
Mon Aug 11 12:09:42 UTC 2014

Hi Gábor,

On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 07:24:52AM -0400, Gábor Csárdi wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 3:25 AM, Andreas Tille <andreas at fam-tille.de> wrote:
> [...]
> > I admit I did not downloaded from this location but rather from the
> > Github releases at:
> >
> >   https://github.com/igraph/igraph/releases
> >
> > If you confirm that these are different from
> > http://igraph.org/nightly/get/c/ (which I'd consider a bit confusing)
> > we could adjust our watch file to this location.
>
> github creates "releases" for each tag in the master branch, and I
> didn't find anything to prevent this, apart from not creating tags.
> Just don't use github. Download the latest release from igraph.org.

While I can do this it might be confusing for other people as well.  I
know we had similar cases in the past and we had some proper advise in
some Debian list.  If you are interested in the solution to have
"proper" release tarballs on Github I could do some research where to
find the discussion.

> > As long as the debian/ dir does not show up in the release tarballs this
> > is no real problem.  If I were you I would try tp approach that the
> > release tarballs on Github are byte (md5sum) identical with the download
> > area on your homepage.
>
> We don't intend to that, at least I don't. Again, the releases are on
> our homepage, not on github.

As I said:  From a general point of view it is no good idea to have to
release files with the same but different content.  For the Debian
packaging we can cope with this but there might be other interested
parties who could stumble upon the wrong release file.