[Debian-med-packaging] Unit tests of R BatchJobs

Bernd Bischl bernd_bischl at gmx.net
Sun Jul 6 13:31:57 UTC 2014

On 06.07.2014 15:23, Andreas Tille wrote:
> Hi Bernd,
>
> On Sun, Jul 06, 2014 at 02:13:07PM +0200, Bernd Bischl wrote:
>>> I see no reason to break my usual workflow just to win 2-3 days for the
>>> upload. So I can stay tuned.
>>>
>> I dont get what you are saying.
>>
>> If I push to CRAN and it does not work for you (because you did not
>> check before) you have to wait for 2 months because thats what the
>> CRAN policies allow regarding new releases.
> Ahhh, I simply asumed the delay from your github to CRAN might be just a
> matter of days.
Thats true.
But see here:
http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/policies.html

Submitting updates should be done responsibly and with respect for the
volunteers’ time. Once a package is established (which may take several
rounds), “no more than every 1–2 months” seems appropriate.

> So you want me to check your code from github in a
> Debian package first? IMHO that's an unsual workflow. We always grab
> from CRAN. do the packaging from there and report back. I can not see
> any reason why my check should be needed to propagate the package to
> CRAN (and I can not do it anyway now since I'm traveling and have a very
> weak connection). Please upload according *your* checks and the usual
> CRAN tests as you are always doing independently from the Debian
> packaging.
It's your call and was just an offer from my side.

I mean we are basically checking for something which was OK for
a) us
b) the CRAN policies
when doing the USUAL "R CMD check"

So what broke, broke only on your system, according to your workflow.

 From our side we are OK, I just wanted to REALLY make sure for you guys
you do not have to wait for another iteration.

Best,

Bernd