[Debian-med-packaging] Mixture of packaging workflows (Re: [med-svn] [bedtools] branch master updated (4122ba1 -> 86c9cf2))

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Sat Jun 7 08:19:39 UTC 2014

Hi Charles,

On Sat, Jun 07, 2014 at 07:27:26AM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> In this source package, I now update the master branch by pulling directly from
> the upstream repository on GitHub.  This workflow simplifies a lot the
> interactions with Upstream, by the use of pull requests.

Uhmmm, I remember that this package was somehow special and you even
documented it somewhere ... sorry for mixing things up.

> Unfortunately, this workflow does not go well with the use of git-import-orig,
> which just makes a single commit and therefore breaks the symmetry between
> Upstream's and Debian's master branches…
>
> I wonder if you would mind if I would cancel the changes that you pushed and
> replace them by the equivalent actions following the workflow explained above.

I really don't mind.  Just fix / recreate what I have fiddled around
unintentionally.

> This workflow that I follow in bedtools, fastx-toolkit and a couple of other
> packages works well and is compatible with the commandes git-pull and
> git-buildpackage, including the use of the pristine-tar option.  Floods of
> emails representing upstream commits are now prevented by setting the option to
> multimailhook.maxCommitEmails.
>
> How can we avoid that both the “import-orig” and the “pull from Upstream”
> workflows are mixed ?  I did not find a way to configure debian/gbp.conf to
> make git-import-orig fail.  Do you think that it would be useful to move
> repositories in a separate directory on Alioth, for instance
> “upstream-pulled” ?

Hmmm, I have no idea.  Now you are talking about this I remember that I
did not wanted to touch this (at least not without taking extra care for
reading the docs again) but obviously I failed.  May be it is sufficient
if we simply either drop a file "debian/do_not_import_orig" or add
  import-orig = no
into gbp.conf.  I'm using a private wrapper to `git import-orig` anyway
and I personally could make sure that if we would do this hack I will not
fail again.  I admit this is not the best solution but better than using
a separate repository IMHO.

> Have a nice week-end,

Yup, and sorry for creating extra maintenance work for you