[Debian-med-packaging] Re: r-cran-optparse_1.0.2-1_amd64.changes REJECTED]

Trevor Davis trevor.l.davis at gmail.com
Sat Mar 22 02:30:40 UTC 2014

Hi Thorsten,

The Free Software Foundation (generally considered
an expert on all things GPL-compatible)
disagrees with your interpretation of the GPL
and have explicitly approved recent Python licenses
as GPL-copmatible (http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#Python).
Note that the "Python License" they have on their website
(http://directory.fsf.org/wiki?title=License:Python2.0.1) is the full
Python license stack which includes the historical modified CNRI and
BEOPEN licenses
and not merely the PSF License Agreement at the top.

13 years ago the FSF did make CNRI change the wording of an earlier
Python license

https://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#PythonOld
http://directory.fsf.org/wiki/License:Python1.6b1

because it had an overly strong "governed in Virginia" clause but I'm using
the version of the CNRI which was weakened enough to satisify the FSF lawyers.

I'm not a copyright lawyer but I'm inclined to go with the judgment of
the Free Software Foundation on this one.  The CNRI and BEOPEN licenses are
ugly but must be included if you combine Python project code with a GPL-licensed
project ( https://wiki.python.org/moin/PythonSoftwareFoundationLicenseFaq ).

Best,

Trevor