[Debian-med-packaging] plip_1.1.0-1_amd64.changes REJECTED

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Wed Aug 19 19:08:26 UTC 2015

On Wed, Aug 19, 2015 at 10:47:48AM +0200, Alex Mestiashvili wrote:

> >> And what item of the DFSG is in conflict?
> >

> I think this thread [0] can shed more light on the problem with pdb
> files license.
>
> > the license says that if I modify the data file, I need to rename it.
>
> this is due to the way the files are named. pdb names are permanently
> associated with a single structure  [1].
>
> > But I am also not allowed to use any other filename that is already on
> > the FTP server (my modified file would be also a modified version of
> > any other data file on the server). So even if I choose a filename
> > that is allowed today it might be illegal some time in the future,
> > after new data with "my" filename appear on the FTP server.
>
> this will not happen because "Once a PDB code is assigned to a given
> structure, it's forever, even in those cases when a structure is
> withdrawn (retired from the database),or superceded by a newer or
> corrected structure"  [1].
>
> > Anyway, it also fails the desert island test as the castaway is not
> > able to check whether his new filename is a legal one. So, although
> > stated otherwise, this seems to be against DFSG#3.
>
> Alternatively I can simply remove the tests from the package, but I
> think we should find a solution with the pdb files, which are not
> uncommon in the scientific software.

I also think that the restriction just makes sure you do not shot
yourself into the foot when beeing on an island.  Removing the tests
because of this decreases the quality of the software while stubbornly
insisting on a principle that makes no sense.

Thorsten, if you do not agree please lets move this thread to
debian-devel.