[Debian-med-packaging] Droping symbols file from staden-io-lib?

Charles Plessy plessy at debian.org
Tue Jul 7 09:20:33 UTC 2015

Hi Andreas,

Thanks for putting this in a README file.

Le Tue, Jul 07, 2015 at 11:00:49AM +0200, Andreas Tille a écrit :
> Hi Charles,
>
> On Tue, Jul 07, 2015 at 05:09:36PM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> >  - in the master branch, pull the upstream master branch and its tags.
> >
> >     git pull https://github.com/arq5x/bedtools2 --tags
>
>    FIXME: If this leads to lot of merge conflicts, do what?

I checked the command before sending my previous email, and there was no
conflict.  In this repository, the master branch tracks upstream's master
branch and is never modified locally, so there should never be conflicts.

(If you tried to use git-import-orig, then things probably ended up
badly broken)

> I do not wnat to sound stubborn and I'm perfectly willing to learn but
> the problems I am facing as a packager (see attached conflict log) seem
> to be larger than the difference between a pull request and a
>
>    git am <quiltpatch>
>
> at upstream side.  Am I missing something?

You are missing that some patches sent by email tend to end up in /dev/null :)
Especially for spelling mistakes and other Lintian requirements when run
with --pedantic.  With pull requests, Upstream can click on a button be
done with the issue, regardless on whether he has access to a local clone.

Furthermore, mutt messes with lines starting with “From” by adding a “>”
character (see below for an example !) and in my experience, this breaks git am.

> >From a Debian users perspective I think bedtools last version would have
> been uploaded yesterday (provided no build problems might occure) if
> bedtools would have a default workflow.  This is IMHO in the interest of
> our users.  Don't you think upstream could import quilt patches
> similarly easy as they could pull?

Sorry for being slow on bedtools; I can do the upload later this week.

I think that people using GitHub do not want to hear about patches.  I tried a
few times to paste a patch in the issue tracker, and the answer was “please
sent a proper pull request”.  I think that sending a patch to GitHub users is
like top-posting on Debian mailing list.  In theory, one should not care, but
in practice, it leads to culture clash.

Cheers,

--
Charles Plessy