[Debian-med-packaging] Droping symbols file from staden-io-lib?

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Tue Jul 7 09:00:49 UTC 2015

Hi Charles,

On Tue, Jul 07, 2015 at 05:09:36PM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
>  - in the master branch, pull the upstream master branch and its tags.
>
>     git pull https://github.com/arq5x/bedtools2 --tags

Hmmmm, I added a debian/README.source to enable me (or others)
remembering how to work with this repository.  This file basically
contains the items you wrote here but also a

   FIXME: If this leads to lot of merge conflicts, do what?

I'm just in the first step confronted with lots of conflicts which
do not seem to be fun to solve.

> Whenever there are chances that I may have changes to propose upstream via
> pull requests on GitHub, I prefer this workflow.

I do not wnat to sound stubborn and I'm perfectly willing to learn but
the problems I am facing as a packager (see attached conflict log) seem
to be larger than the difference between a pull request and a

   git am <quiltpatch>

at upstream side.  Am I missing something?

>From a Debian users perspective I think bedtools last version would have
been uploaded yesterday (provided no build problems might occure) if
bedtools would have a default workflow.  This is IMHO in the interest of
our users.  Don't you think upstream could import quilt patches
similarly easy as they could pull?