[Debian-med-packaging] #779014: ITP: subread, looking for sponsor

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Fri Mar 13 08:44:02 UTC 2015

Hi Alex,

On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 09:37:51PM +0100, Alex Mestiashvili wrote:
> > However, I'd like to ask for some enhancement.  Since you added
> > autopkgtests (which is nice) I think you could also provide an
> > override_auto_test to run the test right at runtime.  Moreover the tests
> > are running only in the unpackaged source dir.  When I wrote
> > autopkgtests I always designed these in a way that users can run it
> > manually as well.  This includes shipping the needed data in a data file
> > under examples and copy them to a temp dir before running the test
> > script.  This is OK for autopkgbot and manual user tests.  (I think my
> > last package implementing this was vsearch if you need an example for
> > what I wrote.)
>
> Thanks for the examples! Initially I planned to put the test directory
> to the data package, but then I decided that test files are to big and
> removed them from the package.
>
> Also I thought that the tests are important only for the maintainers as
> they help detect potential problems with the software.
> To be honest I do not see how they can be useful for the users.

I'm not a user and can't tell.  So if you are really sure that you want
to design it that way its fine for me.  However, I'd consider it useful
to provide a debian/README.test and install it into the doc directory to
inform users about the extended chances for testing.

> > Finally, you might consider using help2man for generating some manpages.
> > I would not really require this for sponsering but if it comes cheap via
> > help2man I would consider this helpful.  (May be the lastalign page is
> > inspiring what I mean.)
> >
> > Kind regards and thanks for your work on this
> >
> >        Andreas.
> >
> >> [0] http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/debian-med/subread.git
>
> Thank you for looking on it.

You are welcome.  (I guess you also noticed two minor commits of mine.)

Just ping me if you consider the package ready for upload.