[Debian-med-packaging] libqes ready for review/upload

Kevin Murray kevin at kdmurray.id.au
Sun Nov 15 23:27:53 UTC 2015

Hi Charles,

On 22:03 15/11, Charles Plessy wrote:
> Le Sun, Nov 15, 2015 at 09:33:52PM +0900, Charles Plessy a écrit :
> > Le Sun, Nov 15, 2015 at 11:21:29PM +1100, Kevin Murray a écrit :
> > >
> > > As part of repackaging axe-demulitplexer, I've created a separate libqes
> > > package (as the projects are separate). This package is ready for review and
> > > upload. Once this hits unstable, I'll ask for review & upload of the new
> > > axe-demulitplexer package, which will fix some FTBFS and RC bugs.
> >
> > I am on it :)
>
> Hi Kevin,
>
> thanks for your contribution.  I just sponsored it.  Here are the compressed
> build logs.

Thanks!

> By the way, the package has no "symbols" file.  I know that Andreas does not
> like them because by design they create build failures, but if you master them
> and make most of the work on the package, I think that it should be OK,
> especially that you are the upstream author.  Symbols files are especially
> useful to ensure that a library package gets updated when a depending binary
> package needs newer features from the library.  It is also usefult for spotting
> some of the most obvious backward incompatibilities.  Altogether, if you expect
> the library to evolve frequently or to be used by a large number of packages,
> the symbols file will be useful.  Otherwise, it may be skipped.
>
> (By the way I just remembered that the build failures created by the symbols
> files can be prevented by setting DPKG_GENSYMBOLS_CHECK_LEVEL to zero; I do not
> necessarly recommend it, but in some packages it may be a good compromise).

Though it probably isn't necessary for libqes, I'd like to learn the best
practices around symbol files. Is there a package you know of which create a
symbols file in a way you consider best practice? Does this happen by hand, as
a d/rules rule, or with some dh black magic? I am a little confused by the
documentation regarding symbols files.

Cheers,
Kevin

---
Kevin Murray

GPG pubkey: http://www.kdmurray.id.au/static/A4B4EE6A.asc
FPR: 656C 0632 1EAB 2C3F 3837  9767 17C2 8EB1 A4B4 EE6A