[Debian-med-packaging] libqes ready for review/upload

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Mon Nov 16 07:30:15 UTC 2015

Hi,

On Mon, Nov 16, 2015 at 10:27:53AM +1100, Kevin Murray wrote:
> > (By the way I just remembered that the build failures created by the symbols
> > files can be prevented by setting DPKG_GENSYMBOLS_CHECK_LEVEL to zero; I do not
> > necessarly recommend it, but in some packages it may be a good compromise).
> >

> Though it probably isn't necessary for libqes, I'd like to learn the best
> practices around symbol files. Is there a package you know of which create a
> symbols file in a way you consider best practice? Does this happen by hand, as
> a d/rules rule, or with some dh black magic? I am a little confused by the
> documentation regarding symbols files.

I personally do not create any symbols files since it creates manual
work for most version upgrades and sometimes even create additional work
for specific architectures.  For low popcon packages as ours this
admittedly sloppy attitude should be OK.  It would be perfect if you
would set higher standards for the packages you maintain and do the
manual work but several Debian Med packages come without symbols files.

I have two further remarks to the packaging:

  1. debian/watch contains
        repacksuffix=+dfsg,dversionmangle=s/\+dfsg.*//,
     I do not see any need for these manglings

  2. I'm personally a big fan of d-shlibs and I'd recommend using it for
     library packages.  If needed I can send pointers for example packages.