[Debian-med-packaging] libqes ready for review/upload

Kevin Murray kevin at kdmurray.id.au
Mon Nov 16 08:15:48 UTC 2015

Hi Andreas,

On 08:30 16/11, Andreas Tille wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Nov 16, 2015 at 10:27:53AM +1100, Kevin Murray wrote:
> > > (By the way I just remembered that the build failures created by the symbols
> > > files can be prevented by setting DPKG_GENSYMBOLS_CHECK_LEVEL to zero; I do not
> > > necessarly recommend it, but in some packages it may be a good compromise).
> > >

> > Though it probably isn't necessary for libqes, I'd like to learn the best
> > practices around symbol files. Is there a package you know of which create a
> > symbols file in a way you consider best practice? Does this happen by hand, as
> > a d/rules rule, or with some dh black magic? I am a little confused by the
> > documentation regarding symbols files.
>
> I personally do not create any symbols files since it creates manual
> work for most version upgrades and sometimes even create additional work
> for specific architectures.  For low popcon packages as ours this
> admittedly sloppy attitude should be OK.  It would be perfect if you
> would set higher standards for the packages you maintain and do the
> manual work but several Debian Med packages come without symbols files.

OK, cool. If I find an easy to follow tutorial, I'll do so, otherwise I won't
stress.

> I have two further remarks to the packaging:
>
>   1. debian/watch contains
>         repacksuffix=+dfsg,dversionmangle=s/\+dfsg.*//,
>      I do not see any need for these manglings

Doh! That's what happens when I copy and paste. Thanks for catching that. I've
fixed and pushed.

>   2. I'm personally a big fan of d-shlibs and I'd recommend using it for
>      library packages.  If needed I can send pointers for example packages.

Some pointers to examples and background on why you are a fan would be great. I
had copied a d-shlibmove call in from bamtools (I think) as I was having
trouble, but I couldn't get it working so I removed it and used *.install. I'm
keen to do things properly though.

Another questions, is a debian/debversion tag required on upload? I don't see
one for libqes.

Cheers,
Kevin

---
Kevin Murray

GPG pubkey: http://www.kdmurray.id.au/static/A4B4EE6A.asc
FPR: 656C 0632 1EAB 2C3F 3837  9767 17C2 8EB1 A4B4 EE6A