[Debian-med-packaging] samtools i386-buildable

Afif Elghraoui afif at ghraoui.name
Wed Sep 16 14:38:24 UTC 2015

Hi, Charles,

On الأربعاء 16 أيلول 2015 02:20, Charles Plessy wrote:

> Hi Afif,
>
> I had a quick look and I have two comments:
>
>  - about programs with language extensions removed, I think that it is a
>    disservice to our users: if they start to use them by mistake in scripts
>    that they intend to share with collaborators, these scripts will be
>    guaranteed to fail on non-Debian platforms... let's save our users from
>    this.

Since the upstream name is still available as a symlink, would you
accept the addition of something to README.Debian or an apt-get note (I
don't know what they're called) that warns about this upon installation?

>  - about files that make consecutive rebuilds difficult: these come from the
>    fact that, like for htslib, the source package's Git repository tracks the
>    upstream Git repository in GitHub (I will document this).

This sounds interesting. Documentation would be appreciated.

>   Between two
>    builds I simply reset the directory with 'git checkout' and 'git clean'.
>    Would it be OK to keep these files in order to avoid potential merge
>    failures from the master branch ?

I think it might be better if we configure git to prefer "ours" over
"theirs" when doing this kind of merge. Since we never change the source
directly except in a case like this, it shouldn't be problematic.

Like Andreas said, I think the debian/rules clean target should be
functional and I wouldn't want to hinder the efforts of the reproducible
builds team.

Thanks and regards
Afif

--