[Debian-med-packaging] samtools i386-buildable

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Wed Sep 16 15:27:55 UTC 2015

Hi,

On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 07:38:24AM -0700, Afif Elghraoui wrote:
> >  - about programs with language extensions removed, I think that it is a
> >    disservice to our users: if they start to use them by mistake in scripts
> >    that they intend to share with collaborators, these scripts will be
> >    guaranteed to fail on non-Debian platforms... let's save our users from
> >    this.
>
> Since the upstream name is still available as a symlink, would you
> accept the addition of something to README.Debian or an apt-get note (I
> don't know what they're called) that warns about this upon installation?

For me this is fine.  I will not fiddle around with the packages other
members of the team feel responsible for.  I simply expressed my opinion
about this.

> Like Andreas said, I think the debian/rules clean target should be
> functional and I wouldn't want to hinder the efforts of the reproducible
> builds team.

Reproducible builds and building twice in a row are different things.
The former creates md5sum identical debs as a result (but might leave
the build tree "dirty" when doing so) and the second is the requirement
to have a byte identical build tree after running clean target.