[Debian-med-packaging] environment modules for Debian Med

Afif Elghraoui afif at ghraoui.name
Fri Sep 18 05:47:43 UTC 2015

On الخميس 17 أيلول 2015 09:14, Vincent Danjean wrote:
> Le 16/09/2015 15:42, Afif Elghraoui a écrit :
>> > +1 for environment modules. I wanted to bring this up for a long time (I
>> > didn't know it's been suggested before). It might be better brought up
>> > on -devel since this is something that can help Debian as a whole, in my
>> > opinion.
> I'm not so convinced. I really like to be able to
> "apt-get install install foo" and start to use foo because I know
> it has been integrated with all other software.
>   I would not welcome the requirement to do
> "module enable foo" as a user if I want to use foo.

The idea is not to do it for *everything*.

> Moreover, if there are conflicts/dependency/provides/... between modules
> (and they will be if modules are used intensively), this will lead
> to a big machinery where we replicate the apt resolver.
>   Moreover, if there are dependencies due to the user workflow
> (ie a user configure a program to run another one) and not due to
> internal module work, theses dependencies wont be
> described into modules metadata (make will not have a dependency on
> all programs that can be run in a Makefile). So the user will have to
> deal itself with the integration of these modules, which can be
> tricky (the apt resolver is tricky)

I was thinking it would be more like having a module per blend, rather
than for every single package--similar to how debian-med-config now
implements a mechanism for packages in this blend.

>   For me, using environment modules *at a distribution level* means
> that we failed to correctly integrate the packaged software in Debian.

There is not much you can do when developers independently choose the
same name for their programs. How do you correctly integrate it into
Debian without renaming the programs?

regards
Afif

--